The very first time that you visit your dentist here, they will carry out a complete dental exam to get a full understanding of exactly how your teeth are doing. Following this, you will have a regular check up every time that you visit, which will include:
- An x-ray for diagnostic purposes: used to find bone loss, tumors, cysts, and any decay. Your dentist may also use an x-ray to understand tooth positioning.
- Oral cancer screening: visual examination of the face, throat, neck, gums, tongue, lips, and tissues in those areas.
- Gum disease evaluation: your gums and bone will be checked for gum disease.
- Tooth decay examination: all surfaces of your teeth will be checked for decay using specialised instruments.
- Restoration work examination: any work that has already been done in your mouth will be examined, such as crowns, fillings, and other works, to see if there is any damage that needs to be repaired.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Although dental prophylaxis may sound complicated, it is actually only a simple professional dental cleansing. A hygienist will usually be the one to carry it out, and during this cleaning they will usually do the following things:
- Removal of tartar: this is hard plaque that has been left on your teeth for a while so it has become very strongly attached to your enamel. Specialist instruments are required to remove it.
- Removal of plaque: this sticky film that covers most teeth is almost invisible, but has a huge amount of bacteria living inside it. If left on your teeth, it will create gum disease.
- Polishing of teeth: any stains that have not already been removed will be done so in this stage, which is sometimes called professional scaling.
Why not call (619) 640-5100 and schedule a cleaning today?